Sunday, April 21, 2013

Back with some Random Stories

Writing Journal: Comments have been trickling in for Charlie and the Convent of Oblivion, and the reception has been a bit tepid. I'm not complaining—not everything I try works, and I wouldn't expect it to. Plus some of it is definitely my fault. I should have made it clearer it's a sequel, for one. For another, upon re-rereading, part (1) does read rather rough. If I were to rewrite it now, I'd figure out a way to start with (2) directly. Ah well. As far as it connects to the Adjusters universe, though, it does seem to suggest that this may be the last Charlie adventure. (I had two other such tales sketched out.) It somehow doesn't fit as well as I hoped it would.



I've neglected this blog for the past few weeks. Life got crazy there with a big deadline last week, and I'm the sort of person that when a deadline approaches and the project is not in good shape, I stop being able to multitask and have to put all my attention on the project or I feel like everything will spin out of control and come crashing down in a fiery spectacular display. But things didn't spin out of control, and life is slowly getting back to normal.

A few stories did manage to catch my attention this week.

Tanked, by The Technician: “A professor finds a very interesting way to defend his research against defunding.” Found this on alt.sex.stories.moderated. (Yeah, I know. Yeah, it still exists. Yeah, once in a while, there's something good there.) Straight up MC story.

Side Bet Bluff, by Statsultan: “Will thought she was bluffing, and it led to a wild week.” Pretty well done, and I like the characters. Good domination/submission interaction, not overdone, but still hot.

Confessions of a Teen Slut, by Gloryholeprincess: “One night of lustful sex with my mom's ex boyfriend.” This one is overdone, but also hot. Not so deep at the character level, but hey, that's not why we read these sometimes.

Life Sentence, by MVPrimetime: “A girl rescued from slavery tells her tale.” That one hit my buttons, at least the day I came across it. It starts very rough, and goes in a weird direction, but it's a pretty good tale. I love the fact that it starts by forcing you to use your imagination, and then filling in the blanks.

7 comments:

  1. I like the Charlie much better after I read it the second time and understood what it was all about. I had not read the adjuster series when I first read it. Now it makes perfect since. I will withhold comment on the 2nd installment until I have read the whole thing. I have read and reread the 1st part on the 2nd installment and liked it more each time but want the whole. I am also looking forward for book 4. You are a genius and I am enjoying it way to much. Keep going and straight ahead as we all used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this Charlie story has less connection to the stuff we know is going on. So the context is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is Jenn communicating and telling in the only way she has left because what has been done to her, I think its great. I want the whole story not just half of it. Also remember the Cindy told Daniel that the story was very ruff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All fair points. Let's reconvene about this after Book IV. Maybe. If we remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be my pleasure without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jagged Tooth GrinMay 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM

    i thought Charlie's chapter3 had some solid hotness to it.
    i do worry that it will confuse some people with their being two charlie stories up on the archive before the reference to the first set appears to point people towards it
    anyway, dont give up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yeah, good point about the confusion. I did add a bit at the beginning of the "The Convent of Oblivion" stating it was a sequel to "The Chancellor's Plot". Maybe that'll help alleviate the problem a bit.

      Delete