Monday, January 14, 2013

Thoughts on The Adjusters

Writing Journal: I essentially finished drafting The Adjusters #37 this afternoon, and started on #38. That one should be pretty easy, considering I know what all the scenes are, and what I want to say. That's pretty rare. Plus I think I had a flash of what the sex scene will be. Not the one I originally planned, but this one should be more... interesting.



I promised to say a few words about the big picture for my serial. Partly, this was prompted by the discussion we had back around the beginning of Book III, where people were basically telling me—and I apologize for paraphrasing—WTF, dude?. Not an unfair reaction, as the story took a bit of a left turn there.

Warning: shameless over-thinking and navel-gazing follows.

Okay, we have to go back to the beginning. I've always wanted to write a big-ass MC saga. My introduction to the genre was Blackie's The Book, which pretty much blew my impressionable mind when I first read it, hoping it would never end. But to write a saga, you need an idea that will carry you through the long haul, and it took a while for one to simmer in my subconscious. I knew I didn't really want to write about a guy or a girl that gets some MC powers, because while I've read a lot of interesting stories with that premise, I couldn't figure out a way not to have the whole story either grow into hero screws everything in sight, chapter after chapter, which gets boring after a while, or hero starts fighting with others, undoubtedly also MCers, which didn't really inspire me.

Several years ago, the basic idea for a story came to me. Really, it came in the form of two scenes: an initial scene, and a final scene. The initial scene basically became Daniel's “dream” of Jenn and Biff in Book II. The final scene, well, it's not written yet, obviously. Then it was a simple matter of figuring out what happened to lead to the final scene—that also took a while. But eventually, I had the basic skeleton of the narrative thread, by answering the question: “Who did actually help Biff Cusker gets his grubby hands on Jennifer Hansen?” and following the answer to that question (“Doctor Cargyle”—“But who the hell is he?”) to its logical conclusion.

And in the process, I discovered a whole Universe in which the larger story takes place. The story I'm now slowly writing. It's big, it's complex, and it keeps being refined every time I pull a thread and start asking, “why is this?” (The Specials, whose existence we discovered in Book III, came out of exactly such a question asked of another plot point elsewhere in the story.)

And by big, I do mean big. If you like SAT-style analogies, Books I & II are to the whole story what #11 is to Book II. (Not in literal size, I hope.) Maybe that's too big. Who knows. I have the story in my head, and I know where it's going, and where it ends. So I'm not worried. Hey, I could have brought Book II to its “natural end” with Daniel finding Jenn and that would have been it for the story. I think my idea is more interesting, but time will tell. (Perhaps I should write an alternative ending to Book II for those that wanted the story to end there.)

So now I have this long tale to tell, how do I tell it? I think a long involved straight-up narrative would have ended up either being boring, or impossible to follow. Or maybe not. But I'm not sure I have it in me to write a single long sustained story like that. So I decided to break up the story into different arcs, each its own contained story with a beginning, middle, and end, with a narrative thread unifying all those stories into the big story I'm telling. It's no accident that I keep saying that the original model for The Adjusters was as a sort of comic book series, but in prose, following characters through different arcs that are part of the same story.

Doing things that way lets me experiment with different styles for each book, which not only keeps the story fresh in my mind, but also lets me try different things that I might not try otherwise. For instance, Book I was just a straight up narrative. Book II had a big cast and I experimented with multiple points of view. (Especially from midway on, when I discovered that yes, multiple points of view were needed, and helped the story. I wish I had done that sooner.) Book III plays with the past and the present, tracking the Special in the past all the way to the present, while our “heroes” are in the present. (It's not working as well as I would have liked it to work, but better than I feared.) Book IV will probably be a bit different in style as well. Book V might be five or six independent but related short stories looking at a few characters in our Universe—some we know, some we don't yet. I'm not being cagey on purpose: while the overall story line is pretty clear in my head, its breakdown into books, chapters, and scenes very much gets pounded in drafts.

Really, if you scratch all the self-aggrandizing rhetoric, I just view it all as a large-scale writing exercise. One that lets me write smut, of course, which is the immediate goal, and the reason I started writing the serial in the first place, but also one that lets me play around with a large world in which I get to tell various connected stories that make up a larger story while experiment with different stylistic perspectives and explore some rather twisted aspects of my own psyche, since all writing is just self-psychoanalysis.

I hope this makes some sort of sense. The TL;DR summary of this post probably is as follows. If you're reading The Adjusters, rest assured: there is a beginning, middle, and end to the story. But we're going to get there through a series of arcs each with its own beginning, middle, and end.

Hey, I did warn you that there would be over-thinking in this post...

To compensate, I'll leave you with some lighter fare MC smut I ran across over the weekend. It's a story by Kenn Ghannon, Ring of Command: “Andrew Malley is scuba-diving with his father off the coast of Jamaica when he finds a ring half-embedded in the sandy floor. Without thought, he slips the ring on his finger -- and his life will never be the same.” Your typical guy finds a magic artifact and controls folks around him, but it's well written, doesn't go too far too fast, and has interesting characters. A warning: the characters are teenagers, and there's incest involved. I'm looking forward to see where the story is going.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks, glad to hear that we will see some more twists along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. danny123

    In my opinion knowing how you want a story to end is a big advantage. It lends itself to keeping the story tighter or more organized. One can always ask the question, “Will this move the story forward to the conclusion?” By doing a lengthy saga, you get a chance to learn more about the main characters. I’ve gotten rather bored with other stories where person gets powers, has sex with lots of women, and story ends. Also it allows one to have many other characters in the story. Having different viewpoints adds more and different flavors to the story. I admit that I would not mind seeing the alternate ending (as long as it does not slow down getting chapters). Having different styles per book, to me, makes the saga more interesting. The bottom line is that I am really loving this trip, its twists and turns, and never really knowing where it is going. Yes, I know that Daniel and Jenn will be together, but there are so many unknowns on how that will happen and the shape each will be in mentally, that makes it so interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. > I’ve gotten rather bored with other stories where person
      > gets powers, has sex with lots of women, and story ends.

      Just highlighting this because it's been a bugbear of mine for a long time. I basically agree with you, and my own attempts at thinking up a story with such a premise have always fizzled as far as making it interesting in the long run. And yet, and yet, I keep thinking that there's got to be a way to get both: that boy-gets-incredible-powers story line, and also a good tale that doesn't get boring.

      Delete
  3. While I admit the ending to Book II was shocking, I found that it just made me care about the characters even more. Daniel and Jenn's plight is painful, but at the same time it makes their potential future all the more worthwhile. I have to say, I got into this late, well after Book III was out, but it has become my favorite series/saga to date. Keep up the amazing writing!

    -vort

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the insight into your creative process. While I admit I don't find Book III as compelling as the previous books, I do still find it interesting. Ultimately anything that makes the process more interesting/engaging for you and that keeps you writing the story works for me. Better that than to have you loose interest, or become creatively blocked and abandon the saga altogether.

    (I know tone doesn't always translate well to written messages, so I'll just note outright that the next bit is written somewhat tongue in cheek)

    That being said I'm always a bit... afraid is too strong a word so lets go with apprehensive, with long term projects that something is going to happen to cause the project to end up unfinished. This has already happened to me at least once in my mainstream reading (I'm looking at you Robert Jordan), so here is to your continued health, ongoing inspiration, and boundless creativity.

    -fox

    ReplyDelete
  5. now that you have explained your vision it will be enjoyable to see how it plays out. Wouldn't mind seeing the alternate ending for book 2.

    Book 1 got me hooked, 2 was an adventure that was conrinuing. 3 almost feels like an interlude will waiting for Daniel to discover more about adcorp.

    Hopefully you won't abandon it....its really some great writing.

    i agree with some of the other points about if you know the end you'll turn out better chapters- as you know the overall plot already

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback, everyone, for your support, and for your overall patience with the speed at which the story comes out. I know it's just smut, but still, writing this story is something that's been keeping me sane in the last couple of years.

    And yes, having an ending to work towards alleviates a surprising amount of anxiety with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am becoming a hugh fan of the Adjusters book i was the lure that hooked me Book II was amazing but the ending was i little bit of a let down. I am currently reading book III and i have to ask did the DIK girl in book II really die or will they eing showing up at a later time. I really loved Serena, Kyra, and was getting intrested in Officer Sonya Gonzalez, so i hope they show up later. Thanks for a great saga and love to read the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you're enjoying.

      And yes, the end of Book II was a bit over the top. I'm still unsure how I feel about it myself.

      As to your question, hold on for a few installments....

      Delete
    2. Well i re read book 2 so i anwswered my own question it was there just hidden. i hope you bring Serena Kyra or Sonya back soon and add them more permenently wink wink . . . they are my favorite charecters.


      One last burning question before i leave
      What happend to Jennifer Hansen!!!
      maybe the next book lol . . .

      thank you for your wonderful work and i look foward to the next installment

      Delete
    3. Yup. We get to see Jenn again in Book IV.

      Delete
  8. I started on book 2 and have read it through and must say amazing work loved all the twist. Now as a reader i have one nagging question. How is it that The Docter is unable to make a slave girl that can be permanently triggered i.e. Marjorie but two frat brothers who've only watch and help(maybe) are able to make Jenn a slave thats permanently trigger.

    I find this plot point so hard to overlook and yet it has been. Please somewhere in the next book or future installment help to explain its driving me crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you caught on to that. Now, Bernie was smart, we should give him that.

      Still, this gives us at least two possibilities:

      (1) Bernie managed to solve a problem that the good doctor didn't know how to solve.

      (2) Jenn's programming is as unstable as Marjorie's was.

      And that's just two among many...

      Delete
  9. You have written an amazing story so far. I must say i feel so bad for daniel when i read this. Losing Jenn all because they were playing that game and he sent her out to flirt with Jackson. Then you get to the end of book 2 and he lost just about everyone Jenn, Serena, Rahdu, Cindy even his so called friends Jackson and Kyra. Book 3 is intresting to say the least his has his goal in mind to find Jenn and yet theres no mention of her. Now the romantic in me hopes that he finds Jenn and they love happily ever after, but the realist in me thinks Dan should end up with Cindy Jenn being mental broken by her ordeal as a sex puppet. I look foward to your next chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And have faith. The story's not over yet...

      Delete
  10. I been going thru your post and it seems as though you and some fan are unhappy with how book 2 ended. While i was plesently surprise by the outcome i have a nagging thought. I know you like to do extra stories around the hollidays ie Biff and Jen chirstmas and Greg and Liz extras. I was wondering have you ever thought of doing an alternate ending to Book 2 where theres more of a happy ending. Although it goes against the premiss of the ongoing saga that is the "Adjusters" i would really be intrested in seeing how your masterful mind could do this. In any fashion keep up your great work i love reading you story like you said its become my month comic fix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not unhappy with the end of book II, aside from general unhappiness with how the results differ from the perfect way it was in my head before I tried to write it down. (But I feel that way about everything I write.)

      I have not dismissed the idea of writing an alternate ending to Book II, but I also haven't thought about it seriously.

      Delete
    2. Sorry if i jumped to a conslusion. I really do l ove this saga that is the Adjusters and hope that you would put some serious thought on writing an alternate ending to book 2. If only to see your masterful mind at work. Like i said efore i do love your story

      Delete