Sunday, May 12, 2013

HTML Format for Stories

Writing Journal: Jauntily hacking on The Adjusters #41. Going well—it's a pretty straightforward chapter, as far as those things are concerned. Some things are still rough, but I'll figure them out when revising. And there's one character that I wasn't expecting that showed up and said: “Hey, can I have a part?” And the answer might just be yes, yes indeed.



Okay, so I spent part of the weekend hacking on getting an HTML version of The Adjusters on ASSTR.

And I do mean hacking. I ended up writing a perl script to take the HTML output of Scrivener (which is what I generally use to write my stories) and clean it up and massage it to that it matches the CSS I wanted to use. All in all, it went better than expected.

Why do I want HTML? Mainly, because I want true UTF8 encoding, so I can get accents (fiancée) and nice quotes (“...”) and true em-dashes (—). And because I rely a lot on italics for internal dialogue.

Right now, I've only converted the installments from the first book, such as the first installment, Daniel and Jennifer. Check it out, let me know what you think.

In the coming week, I'll finish converting the rest of the tale, and upcoming installments will be posted that way as well, coinciding with the start of Book IV.

A couple of questions for you all, if you care about this in any way:

(1) does anyone actually need the .txt versions? They are suboptimal because of the lack of italics, and it might be a pain to keep in sync, but I'm willing to keep producing them if there's demand.

(2) does anyone care about reading the stories on mobile? Right now, the layout I favor may not look great on mobile (though I haven't tried except on my phone, which is frighteningly dinky). If you do, let me know how things look.

Feel free to post in the comments, or contact me privately.

And as far as stories are concerned, here's another one by Kirk, Marlene's Story: “Marlene Catalano reunites with her brother, who used to dominate her when they were younger.” Sweet, sweet domination. And hopefully, more parts to come.

8 comments:

  1. danny123

    As long as I can copy them to Word, I do not care if they are txt or not. I only copy the installment so I can read the installment later.

    I do not think I will be reading the stories on my cellphone, so the mobility feature is not something I have an interest in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense. I assume the new format is still suitable for copy/paste?

      Delete
  2. I, on the other hand, did read most of The Adjusters on mobile. Don't get me wrong, most smartphone browsers can render webpages almost as well as the PC. The fact that more and more users are using phones and tablets for general web browsing is something to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the new format readable on your mobile? It's a pretty sparse and centered layout, so it should fit well, but I can always come up with something sparser specifically for mobile devices.

      Delete
    2. Works perfectly on my mobile.

      Delete
  3. The mobile format is SO much better than reading it in text. The best part is that it renders column width rather than forcing you to read at teeny size or else having to scroll horizontally as well as vertically. Very enthusiastic support for this change.

    ReplyDelete