Thursday, March 7, 2013

New Story: The Adjusters #38

(Well, that was a perfectly good weekend and early week completely wasted. And let me add that given the number of idiots in positions of responsibility, it's a wonder that the world isn't even more fucked up than it actually is. End rant. I'm back. Oh, and ASSTR's submission portals all seem to have gone on the fritz, too, so the story below is posted through Pastebin until things get back to normal. I'll get to comments and waiting emails in the coming days. Thanks for your patience.)

Way too late, here is March's installment of The Adjusters, “A Wedding and Three Debriefings”, wherein Daniel and Shawbank close up the investigation and return home.

As usual, comments welcome.

I'll also remind you that we have a Speculation Thread available for general discussion. (A thread which I read but do not comment on.)


The Adjusters #38 - A Wedding and Three Debriefings

(Charleston, West Virginia. The next day.)

"With this ring, I thee wed," Gregory Hermann said, "and with it, I
bestow upon thee all the treasures of my mind, heart, and hands." He
slid the ring on the finger of his new bride.

Elizabeth Bowden, now known as Annette Elizabeth Hermann, echoed her
husband's statement before sliding a ring on his finger. "With this
ring, I thee wed, and with it, I bestow upon thee all the treasures of
my mind, heart, and hands." She smiled at her husband, a smile full of
promise.

The officiating priest extended his hands over the bride and
groom. "And now, by the power vested in me by the State of West
Virginia, I hereby pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss."

Sitting on the last row of the church, Daniel Malcolm gave a little
smile as he watched the ceremony end. His smile was ambivalent. On the
one hand, from what Hermann had told him, and what he remembered from
his brief interview with Elizabeth--or Annette, as she was now
known--those two loved each other, and they had navigated around some
impressive reefs in the past twenty-four hours. On the other hand, it
was a wedding, and weddings had this bad tendency to remind him of
Jenn, and of the bare fact that he had no idea where she was or what
she was going through. Again, it took an effort to push the thought
from his mind. He would deal with it later. Always later.


Continue reading...


Next month: “Charlie and the Convent of Oblivion (I)”.

13 comments:

  1. This was an amazing chapter. Finally we get back to the matter at hand Daniel trying to locate Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Calypso girl got "suspicious" written all over her, like someone sent her, knowing exactly how to distract Daniel. Matching to Jen looks, throwing herself on Dan whatever the cost, pocking around, going through with anything weird, even a name almost like with a pun intended? Suspicious!

    Also one of the best chapters, story progress wise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with anonymous and Domein. Possibly the best chapter in this book.

    Definitely I feel like the Daniel/Jenn plot and the others were advanced-shes on the run having sex as she runs across the country- who knows besides Bt3 where her endpoint of this running is. Clearly she is still publishing her stories- trying to get Daniel to find her. Though I am not sure why she doesn't just stay in one place to make it easier for him.

    Shawbank still proves to be a hardass- at least early in the chapter. Though perhaps she has a soft spot for Control. And we found out the highest levels are interested in Daniel.

    Sam didn't know about specials, or about the different levels. But clearly has some past with ADCORP and losing someone he loved.

    is calypso someone we have already met in disguise or is she a new character?

    A shame what Greg did to Shelley- esp after Daniel helped him get his fiancee back- I wonder if Shelley will end up at club with Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think whats sad about the Greg, Shelly, Liz/Annete plot line is the fact that they are doomed as Shawbank told Daniel. All he did to try and help and it's for nothing, sad.

      Delete
    2. All good points, met19.

      And yes, Anonymous, I agree, it is indeed sad.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. So it seems.

      Although who knows with those people. It's all secret this and secret that...

      Delete
  5. Great work Bt3, you have some very intresting plot twist coming our way don't you.
    The fact the order to hire Daniel come from higher up is intriging.

    Calypso is a great addition to the cast, much like Cindy befroe her i think she going to be a distraction for Daniel, but the fact that she looks alot like Jenn makes me wonder if she not part of some plan.

    I think Sam's on to something, that Adcorp is trying to make a drug to contol women and it be intresting to see why he's been looking into the company for so long or who he was helpless to save.

    As always great job and i look foward to the next installment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do try to at least throw in a couple of twists to compensate for all the plot turns that you folks manage to predict pretty much on the money.

      Delete
  6. danny123

    Just coming back from vacation and wanted to post my thoughts before the next installment came out. I am writing this while at lunch and hopefully it doesn’t ramble too much.

    Loved the scene where Shelley was being videoed. I am not surprised that Greg fell into the temptation to use the cellphone and to pay off his debt by using Shelley. It would be interesting to see what happens to Liz. Maybe her demise may have been avoided because she still believes her lord is still alive and that Greg is a substitute.

    I suspect that O’Neill lost a daughter to a Special but always believed ADCorp got her hooked on drugs and that is why she disappeared. We also know that Daniel has a “mentor” at ADCorp. I suspect over a period of time we will find out who that is.

    I am wondering if Calypso is part of the “standard protocol” that was mention to Shawbank. She resembles Jenn and it would be a good way to monitor and hopefully learn about Daniel’s thinking.

    I still believe that ADCorp is working on a serum to mimic the Specials, but that Cargyle may have been further ahead than they were. It seems that the Janet Flynn may be a product of the serum that ADCorp is working on. We also know that Shawbank is into women. One of the reasons I believe Cargyle was further ahead is that they kept the girls from the university. It gives the company a chance to study the girls and, I believe, the laptop that Shawbank was also recovered. So they also have the Doctor’s notes.

    It seems to me that the next few chapters will be in a “fantasy” story telling mode. Not sure how I will react to it. I liked the previous one sent by Jenn. At the moment I prefer the way the story is being told in the first book. It will be interesting reading if nothing else to try and figure out the clues that Jenn will weave into her story.

    As always, I am very anxious to read the next installment. Would I like to have the next two installments released together? Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments, danny123. I won't comment futher to avoid spoilage, though. But I like how you think.

    ReplyDelete