Wednesday, September 21, 2011

New Story: Go Where The Arid Winds Blow


Last month, I wrote a short story for a contest on MC Forum, “Go Where The Arid Winds Blow”, on the theme of mind control in the desert. It is now up on the EMCSA.

Lord Barnaby leads an archeological dig in the Syrian desert, trying to find the long lost temple of Sik-Ladi, an ancient fertility goddess. Before too long, strange events take over the expedition’s camp.

As usual, comments welcome.


Go Where The Arid Winds Blow

I had to leave. It has nearly broken my heart and torn my soul apart, but
I had no choice. No choice at all. But I will be back. I promised Helena I
would be back. I promised. And she will wait for me, for she loves me,
as I love her.

I am feeling the madness fading in the background. It is still there, lingering,
but this gives me hope, overwhelming hope, soul-stirring hope. I am more
elated than I have any right to be: I am alone in the Syrian desert, on my way
to Damascus, exhausted from the last four days’ ride, and yet part of me
wants to laugh and sing and dance, for the madness is fading...


Continue reading...

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the story. I appreciate that there was some background and build up. I believe I see that the author has a very romantic side. The romance to me was the fact that he gave her up so she can live but also that he was going to come back to her, even if only for a few weeks, over the years.

    danny123

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting story different but not as well developed as the adjusters. could be a good premise. might be worth continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks folks.

    And indeed, it's difficult to develop as much within a short story as with a longer form.

    ReplyDelete