Sunday, September 21, 2014

Princess Trainer

Writing Journal: Happily hacking away on The Adjusters #55. I should be further ahead than I am, but I'm still on track to finish for the end of the month. Still wish I had a bit more of a buffer, but at least, until the end of Book V, I know what all the plot lines are. Also: 1000 words is not that much. Either that, or I way overwrite.



I spent the few hours before bed this week playing Akabur's Princess Trainer, and holy fuck does that game push all of my buttons!

I suspect most of you have heard of it already.

If not, the story's simple enough. It takes place in Disney's Aladdin universe, and Jafar is in power. He had tasked you with the job of training Princess Jasmine, which he intends to marry, so that she is nice and obedient and submissive for the wedding. Your job, basically, is to break her.

The game has no time limit, and is quest-based. The graphics are excellent, though they are not interactive. But it's the narrative that ends up pushing the game beyond a curiosity for cartoon perverts. It's gripping and quite dark despite the omnipresent humor. And it's pretty linear (meaning that Akabur can actually control the story) but the quests can be done essentially independently, adding just the right level of interactiveness. Did I mention it was quite dark? It's probably not for everyone, but for this guy here, it's pretty damn amazing.

The interface is a bit painful at times—there's some grinding needed in places (not much, thankfully) and the clicking gets tiring, especially if you end up repeating a scene that you've played before and there is no way to shortcut it. Technically, the game is programmed in Ren'Py, which I had not heard of but seems worth checking out if you're the creative sort.

If you're more into traditional storytelling, have a look at a story that I bookmarked a long time ago and that I've now started to read. It's Oceania by Expresso42: “Abducted and mind-wiped by a powerful corporation, Claire Savage is forced to work in an illicit brothel. Escaping sexual enslavement and fighting to regain her memories, she uncovers a shocking secret about her past and a conspiracy that threatens to plunge the world into chaos.” Come on, who can resist a description like that? Note that it's 80% sci-fi and 20% sex. But it's pretty decent sci-fi, and worth reading. (Disclaimer: I'm maybe a third of the way through, so for all I know it may completely drop off the quality cliff before the end.)

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pointer to Princess Trainer! Great work from Akabur! Did you ever unlock the third, locked, personal request, though? I finished all the quests, but never go the right combination or something for that ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to say, that when i download the adjusters and save it to a file as an html and then try to pull them up to print them so I can read them they won't pull up and Google says they can't find the file. I did send you an email but I don't know if it got through. If you have any great ideas on how to fix this my e-mail is judddenson@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I managed that unlock. It isn't obvious. Basically you have to go to the brothel and try to have sex with Lola. Fat Lilly stops you. This ticks Lola off and a few days later she shows up at your door wanting to move in with you. This unlocks the locked personal request and the locked Jasmine 'outfit'.

    As far as I can tell there's nothing explicit in the game to tell you about this. You just have to try all the options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done re:unlocking. I had forgotten which one was the third personal request, but yes, that one was the one major annoyance.

    What got to me was the "few days later". I kept thinking I had unlocked the costume but then had lost it and couldn't find a way to get it back from Lola. The random knock on the door later I thought was a bit of a poor design. But small nit about a great game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judd — won't be able to look at the issue seriously until the weekend, but the only thing I can think of is that the HTML file has a reference to the CSS file defining the layout, and that might be what the browser's complaining about.

    One solution is to download the CSS (b3.css), another is to just go in the HTML and get rid of the offending link. Third possibility is to try another browser. I use Chrome and instead of failing it just displays without fancy layout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got it as a txt file out of internet explorer, would rather have the Html file though. I will try your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized I really have no idea how to do this. will print your stuff and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to figure out the html/css stuff, couldn't do it and got frustrated so I quit. Please explain to me how to do it. Here's my e-mail, judddenson@gmail.com. Thank you bt3, judd

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, I use Chrome most of the time but do have IE and Firefox. HTML in all three have the same problem and only IE allows txt saves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More information. Because I am bored at an open house I tried to pull up Aware, could be any of the chapters, in Microsoft office and got an error that ended in .css. I guess this is where the problem is now is it yours or mine? It is happening on both my desk and laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching up between two chores.

    Try this: create an empty text file (created in notepad or something) in the same folder where you saved the chapter. Call it: b3.css (make sure there's no .txt extension or any of that) No need to put anything in it. Does that solve the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried doing this several different ways, none of them worked. Either I am stupid which is probable or I am just not getting whats wrong. This is something I have never dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I now have four different people with the same problem, using xp, windows 7 and 8.1 browsers are IE, Google 2x and Firefox. All reporting the same thing with a .css error.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Intriguing. And that's when you try to open the saved file with Word in all cases?

    If you grab the file you saved and drag it to a browser window instead, does that break too? (Try it with the internet disconnected so it doesn't try to fetch the css file.)

    If you want to read the story offline, the easiest is probably to print the text as PDF and read it with a PDF reader. Or just read the downloaded file with a browser. Or possibly WordPad...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will try that again. The thing is, I can pull up everything from other sites like MC Stories and Stories, just not yours which is a puzzle. I am not a code person so I don't really understand the HTML or Css stuff. I can still do it in IE as a text file which I can also change the font size in before I print it. I just found a problem and I know now that 4 other prople are having the same problem. I am not trying to bother you as I would rather you write as that is the main things, the story. It is just a small problem and I was only trying to bring it to your attention and did not mean to be a problem. I will continue to find an answer on this end and as Usual I so Look forward to the next installment, I hope maybe tomorrow. Judd

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you like the stories like Oceania, check out the stories of Al Steiner both in SOL and ASSTR. The SOL stories are easier to read. My favorite is "Aftermath", but they are all very good.

    ReplyDelete