Sunday, August 28, 2016

New Story: The Adjusters #66

Here is the latest installment of The Adjusters and the end of Book VI, “Los Angeles, Aftermath", wherein Daniel gets a reward of a sort for his success in Los Angeles.

As usual, comments welcome.

I'll also remind you that we have a Speculation Thread available for general discussion. (A thread which I read but do not comment on.)


The Adjusters #66 - Los Angeles, Aftermath

“So how’s everything?” asked Elizabeth Parkinson—who liked to be called Betty—smiling her usual affable smile, relaxed behind her desk, the consummate HR professional. “I heard you did very well in Los Angeles on an team assignment that turned into a solo assignment.”

Daniel Malcolm nodded. “Not a lot of secrets around here, are there?”

If Betty picked up on the sarcasm, she did not let on. “Oh, quite the contrary. There are lots of secrets around here. Security is paramount at ADCorp, as I’m sure you’re starting to appreciate. With some of the sensitive materials we have, it only makes sense.”

Daniel was curious. “Actually, if you don’t mind the question, do you actually know what those sensitive materials are? Do you know what my assignment involved back in Los Angeles?”

Elizabeth smiled, and shook her head. “I don’t. I don’t have the security clearance. And if you tell me anything about your own work, I’d have to report you, so please don’t.”

Then again, Daniel thought, if she knew anything and the fact that she did was itself classified, then she would have to say that, didn’t she? Daniel, you’re becoming paranoid. He could practically hear Sam O’Neill’s grumpy response in his head: Good!


Continue reading...

Next month: the start of Book VII, The House of the Rising Sun.

15 comments:

  1. Awesome chapter! Now to wait for some hot Jenn actions in the next book. Spots two typos. "For the other, a good friend of mind*"
    "Daniel sad* Cindy shiver at the woman’s words."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Can't wait to read this and savor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You did it! You're back and the chapter is good. It's really good!

    Considering your previous comment posts you seem to have fought your own demons with this chapter.

    Your description of Cindy was amazing as well. Her personality got some real depth. Until now I was no fan of her, more like neutral. But with this chapter she got some real depth for me.

    Really glad you are back. Now really looking forward to what happened to Jenn in the meantime.

    Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I'd see the day...

    Time to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great chapter, loved it very much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Looking forward to Jenns story

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back and you did it in style with this episode. The look into Cindy was magnificently done. Following up with the guy from ADcorp was excellent and Daniel has his "work" cut out for him. I am looking forward to The House of the Rising Sun and the continuing Jenn and others story. As we say as USC, Fight On.

    ReplyDelete
  8. by the way, I too would like it very much it you would update the website here with all the episodes in one place so the are easy to find. Thanks a lot for all you do again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. from danny123

    I look at this chapter as the point in time when the hero reluctantly accepts that he must do things that he is very uncomfortable doing. Movies usually depict this scene when something happens to someone the hero cares about and that provides the necessary motivation to move. The way I look at it, is Daniel must become the type of man that someone like Cindy needs. Someone who will pursue their agenda and not care what the other person wants. His agenda is to find Jenn and free her no matter what the cost. Do I detect an attraction by Cindy for Shawbank? Cindy knows that Shawbank definitely will push past her block. I am most curious what Shawbank will do with her knowledge of who Cindy is and how that will affect her working relationship with Daniel.
    I am also interested in seeing exactly what kind of ally that Brisecoeur will develop into.
    I really like Cindy. She is wickedly bright and an amazing friend. My hope for her is that at the end she finds a very dominant man. A master who will push her beyond her block but who deep down loves her and is doing what he does to free her.
    As always most interested in how what path this story will take and what happens to the various characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a small FYI and I am sure your aware of it that the last two chapters of Intermezzo need to be fixed so they can be read also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning.

    Any news or information about the next chapter ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Master Bulgroz, art thou still alive and kicking?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monsieur Bulgroz, how are ya, hope all is well...
    sending you well wishes and warm regards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I guess I can resume my rumour mongering about your death and/or your inability to edit in a timely manner. :D

    ReplyDelete