Sunday, October 23, 2011

Author Spotlight: Daphne

Writer's Journal: I've played host this week to the flu that's been going around this neck of the woods, and I'm pleased to report that it's enjoyed its stay enormously and will call again. All of that by way of explaining my lack of Wednesday post. But all is not lost, as I've started editing The Adjusters #22, which should be out on time this month.



Once in a while, I'll do what I like to call an Author Spotlight, which is just a grandiose term—because we've all realized by now that I just love grandiose terms—for letting you know about a smut author I like. There's a bunch of them in the pipe, and I'll drop them in whenever they spring to mind.

Today's is Daphne, which many of you that peruse the EMCSA undoubtedly know already. Daphne's been one of my favorite authors for a long time. She's also one of the most infuriating ones, at least from my perspective. You have to understand: whereas I will spend 30000 words to bring my readers to feel a particular way about one of my characters—and even then it's just an approximation of what I really want them to feel—Daphne manages to achieve a greater effect, deliver a harder punch, and make your head spin faster in 1/300th of the space. She's the kind of author that makes you despair to write anything halfway decent ever again. Here are some of my favorites stories of hers that illustrate my point:

Above That Ye Are Able: “Stan accidentally discovers the trigger phrase that turns his girlfriend into a hypnotized sex zombie.” One of my favorite MC story ever. The one I go back to when I feel that maybe I've outgrown that particular kink, and bang it puts me right back to square one, drooling like a little baby.

Make Up Sex: “A man describes to his girlfriend what he would do if he were able to hypnotize her.” A gem at under 2000 words. Almost all dialogue on top of that, just to add to the difficulty. Viddler made a specialty of dialogue-only stories, and this one by Daphne is one of the few that approaches his level of mastery.

Talked Me Into It: “A wife tells a female marriage counselor how her husband is able to persuade people to do things, and then the husband demonstrates.” A classic setup, a classic outcome, all done masterfully.

In Evil Company: “When a diabolical conspiracy targets a well-known actress as their next victim, could the whole operation be ruined?” Come on, who can resists diabolical conspiracies? This story made me wish that there was more stories exploring that universe.

Under New Management: “Lisa, a prostitute, is expecting a to meet a customer, but instead meets her new owner.” Wonderful play on the thin line separating prostitutes and mind-controlled slaves. If anyone wanted to seriously explore the psychology of the mind-control fetish, I think that line would be a fertile starting point.

Maid, To Order: “Katie, a pretty young housekeeper, is reprogrammed by subliminals to be a slave to three male roommates.” Another classic setup, exceedingly well done. The induction in this one is also particularly hot, even though inductions rarely do it for me.

Enough gushing. Go read some of her work, it speaks for itself.

Now, the reason why Daphne's been on my mind recently is because we just got an announcement that Mind Control Comics is back! The following is snatched from MC Forum:
But what about Mind Control Comics?

That's back, too! Memberships are $24.95 per month, or $44.95 for 
three months.

Now, we won't be able to get new content flowing immediately, 
since we haven't had income to pay artists.  Thus, we're giving 
the following membership bonuses:

1. All memberships (monthly or three-month) purchased through 
October 31, 2011, will have two free months added to them 
(monthly memberships will be good for three months, three month 
memberships for five months).

2. All memberships purchased November 1-30, 2011 will have one 
additional month added to them for free.

3. After that, we're back to regular schedules.
(Part of the reason why MCC was gone was due to credit card processing problems. Those seem to have been resolved, although the announcement does point out that they want to make sure the new processing arrangement is stable before going full-speed ahead with production of new titles, but all in all, it's all very encouraging. I'm a big fan, and look forward to renewing my membership.)

Mind Control Comics specializes in high-quality online adult comics with in-your-face mind control, featuring stories written by Daphne, and illustrated by various folks. All eminently readable, and some of the series are particularly effective at getting my blood flowing:

Bearing Gifts: “Mark and David are visiting a hypnotized, brainwashed prostitute… but what’s happening to David’s girlfriend Rowan while they’re having their way with the hooker?” Five stories in the series, and an additional five in the Found Objects related series.


Beyond Rubies: “Julie has started wearing a new necklace that promises her more energy and a better figure... but there are certain side-effects for her and her friends...” Two stories in the series, but more are rumored to be on the way.


The Hidden Knowledge: “Daffyd discovers a book that claims to reveal the hidden knowledge of seducing women. It can't actually work, can it?” Four stories currently in the series.


In any event, join, and enjoy. Among other things, the site's made me discover the art of SturkWurk , who's a talented 3D artist. Don't knock it—it's way harder than it looks, as exemplified by the proliferation of bad 3D artwork out there in Smut Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment